Glenalmond College is founded by the renowned politician, WE Gladstone. It opens its doors to fourteen pupils on 4 May 1847.
Glenalmond College is a Scottish Episcopal Church foundation. The first Warden, Charles Wordsworth, who was the nephew of the poet, William Wordsworth, is instrumental in arranging the completion of the Chapel and its consecration on 1 May 1851.
The 1890s are a Golden Age for Glenalmond under the leadership of Warden Skrine when numbers increase and new accommodation and classrooms are built.
In the aftermath of the Boer War, to commemorate the eleven Old Glenalmonds who lost their lives in that conflict, a memorial is installed in Chapel and the beautiful College Library is built.
157 Old Glenalmonds are killed in the First World War – the equivalent of the whole school population at the time. They are commemorated in Chapel on a n impressive memorial designed by the renowned ecclesiastical architect, Sir John Ninian Comper OG.
This decade sees another period of great development and expansion under the Wardenship of Glenalmond College’s only OG Warden, Frederick Matheson. The Gladstone Cloister, Warden’s house and the Matheson’s building are all built during this period.
Pupils, staff and OGs all contribute to the war effort with 102 former pupils losing their lives. Hugh Malcolm OG is posthumously awarded the VC – the third OG to receive that honour.
The centenary of Glenalmond College is celebrated on 19 July 1947 with a visit from Her Majesty the Queen. She makes another visit to the school in 1966 to open the swimming pool.
Girls are first admitted to the Sixth Form in 1990 and the school becomes fully co-educational in 1995. Such is the success that a second girls’ house is opened in 1998.
Floreat Glenalmond. Let Glenalmond flourish as we continue our journey through the 21st century.